Monday, August 31, 2015

Personal Networking | How to Network Without Being Annoying

So many times I hear from salespeople that they want to work on networking, but they don't know how to start. Many feel guilty about asking for referrals, asking their friends for business or letting people know about the services they provide. Call me harsh, but I chalk that up to a lack of passion and information about their organization. How do you see your job? Do you feel that when someone buys something from you that you are "getting one over on them"? I don't.

I have confidence in myself and my organization.

Things I Know:
I know there is no better place to purchase a New Hyundai, no better Used Car department than mine (after all I offer a 6 Month Warranty on most used cars I sell), there is not a finance department in Dallas who will work as hard as we work to get you approved (our ethical standards are extremely high, we are a Wells Fargo Diamond Dealer, a Hyundai Motor Financial award winner and have relationships with just about every lending institution in Texas), there is no better service department in South Dallas (we service all makes and models) and there is no better place to get tires, parts or have your vehicle washed and detailed. Visit www.MyDallasHyundai.com 

How have I integrated my passion for my job into my regular life? Here's the plan that's worked for me. There are 4 steps, not 3 because I don't time to do 5 steps of anything (Hello? I'm a Mom and a Car Wife and a Marketing Pro and a Vice President and ETC. And, we had to fire the maid. Did you know that? No housekeeper? How will I survive?) and I have too many rambling ideas/thoughts only to list 3. Marcus is still at work for month-end closeout. It's time to write this blog or eat ice cream. I'm trying not to eat any ice cream until the Blue-Bell strike outage is over.

1) Be intentional every day. Not twice a week. Not only when I go out to lunch. Every day I find a way to discuss my career with someone. It can be a valet parker, a mom at school, a Facebook share of my most current offer, credit or financial advice, offers to help friends get oil changed, discussions about internet marketing or happening upon a discussion having to do with my favorite city: Dallas. Every day it comes up once. "It" meaning by career, my organization or my products.

2)  Use Research to create faith and passion in my organization. Notice not yours, I said MY organization. Research your product, research your dealership, research your co-workers, research your competitors. Knowing as much as you can about your products and services create comfort. Being comfortable with the facts and information that I need to know make it so easy to communicate my passion to others. I don't sit idle. I don't keep quiet. I ask questions until I can't think of any more questions. Just imagine how much fun that is for my husband/dealership/sales teacher. Ha ha ha!!!

3) Use social networking to display your life as a whole. No one wants to be friends in a one-sided relationship. And, no one is interested in being Facebook Friends with someone who is always selling. So stop selling. Don't post discounts all of the time. Be a real person that people find interesting and likable. Share who you are, your other interests, your family moments AND your business successes with your real friends and family on Facebook. People are naturally drawn to success. And successful people like to be around other successful people. We feed off of each other in our own silent (or sometimes very LOUD ways...Louder if you're a car guy).

4) Do practice your 30 Second Commercial/Your Elevator Speech/Your awkward few moments to explain what you do. Sometimes you have to get creative. Sometimes I tell people about the warranty we provide on used cars. Sometimes I only talk about helping folks with credit scores in the 400s get approved. Sometimes I talk about the 2015 Hyundai Genesis. Sometimes I only talk about my career in Marketing & Advertising and allow the other person to inquire as to the industry.
Have more than one elevator speech. And it doesn't need to be a PITCH. Just a few key phrases regarding who you are, why your organization is unique and what products you have. Practice on your spouse. Practice on your kids. Practice on the kid at Starbucks.

-Lindsey Stuart

More Exciting Tips from INC.com 
http://www.inc.com/jeff-haden/9-beliefs-of-remarkably-successful-people.html

New Hyundai in Dallas
www.MyDallasHyundai.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Please follow me!