Friday, March 23, 2012

Stop Praying? Advice from a fellow Car Wife

Stop Praying?
 
“Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.” Ephesians 4:2 (NIV)

This verse seems so easy to follow. It's non-controversial. Democrats and Republicans don't argue over the constitutionality of it. It applies to Christians, athiests, sinners and saints alike. It doesn't just say be humble sometimes or when we have to buy a Hyundai instead of the Mercedes of our dreams. It doesn't say that we only have to be gentle when we tuck our kids in at night. It doesn't mean we only have to be patient when our husbands are communicating with us or when we aren't 15 minutes late to go somewhere. In fact, it reminds us that sometimes we are "bearing" others and their behavior. It also reminds us that we are bearing with one another. I interpret this as that we area all bearing each other from time to time.

Running a dealership and being a wife and mom doesn't allow me much time to read but, this week I did have a few minutes to read a couple of interesting articles. This week, a friend and fellow car wife shared this amazing blog about how to stop praying about your husband, rather for your husband on facebook.

God wasn’t looking for me to be a “fix him” wife.
God was looking for me to be a “love him” wife.
I needed to stop praying. At least, I needed to stop praying the way I had been. Yes, there were things my husband needed to work on. But nothing good was happening when all I did was complain about him.
I needed to be a wife daring enough to ask God to reveal to me how to love him. And I needed to ask God where I was going wrong—where I was being selfish—where I needed to work.
When I shifted my focus on letting God change me, that’s when I started to see real progress.


Achieving that progress in all areas of my life is a daily marathon for me. A client was talking with me yesterday about what it's like to wake up, go to work, and go home at night with my husband. This client had caught both of us on a good day. :) I told her there are days when we disagree or are really impatient with each other. But, for the most part we are very respectful of each other. Our used car dealership is filled with humor throughout the day. When we do have those arguments, we try our best to leave them at work. Finding balance, forgiveness, patience, humility and simplicity brings so much peace... when I can remember to find them all. Be patient...with our children, with our finances, with our work endeavors, with our husbands and ultimately be patient with ourselves. Sometimes we need to change how we pray. This was a great reminder. Thanks LK, for this share on facebook.
 

1 comment:

Thank you for your comment! Please follow me!